Preparing a Kit for Pets
Your pets are important members of your family. They each have special needs. They need you to plan for them. Planning to care for your pets is simple if you take the time to work out a few details. The results can bring warmth and companionship to your family for years to come.
Pack the BasicsJust like humans, pets need some basic survival needs. You can build your kit from the basics and tailor it based on the special needs of your pet.
Pet To-Go Bag
- A current color photograph of you and your pet together (in case
you are separated).
- Copies of medical records that indicate dates of vaccinations and
a list of medications your pet takes and why he or she takes them.
- Proof of identification and ownership, including copies of registration
information, adoption papers, proof of purchase, and microchip information.
- Physical description of your pet, including his/her species, breed,
age, sex, color, distinguishing traits,and any other vital information
about characteristics and behavior.
- Animal first-aid kit, including flea and tick treatment and other
items recommended by your veterinarian.
- Food and water for at least three days.
- Food and water dishes.
- Collapsible cage or carrier.
- Muzzle and sturdy leash.
- Cotton sheet to place over the carrier to help keep your pet calm.
- Comforting toys or treats.
- Litter, litter pan, litter scoop.
- Plastic bags for clean-up.
For more information, see "Animal Safety – Pets and Disaster: Be Prepared" from the American Red Cross as well as visit the Arizona Humane Society at www.azhumane.org
Click here to download a Pet Safety Checklist to help you get started in your emergency preparedness efforts.