Making Your Emergency Kit "To Go"
Water, food, and clean air are basic needs. You should tailor your family’s emergency "to go" kit to meet the needs of each individual family member. Include important family documents in a waterproof container. These may include copies of your identification, insurance policies, and bank records. Use the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit to organize your information and make it portable.
Basic Items for Your Portable Emergency Kit:
- Water (1 gallon per person per day for 3 days minimum) for drinking
and personal care
- Food (a 3-day supply) of non-perishable food
- Radio (hand crank or battery-powered)
- Weather Radio (NOAA version with tone alert)
- Whistle to signal for help
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Dust mask to filter contaminated air
- Moist towelettes (wipes), garbage bags and plastic ties for personal
- Wrench and/or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener (manual or battery-powered) for food
- Local maps
- Unique family needs (medications, infant formula, diapers, important documents, etc.)