Make a Plan for a High-Rise Building
If you are in a high-rise building when disaster strikes, you may face some unique challenges in staying safe. With some simple planning and knowledge of your surroundings in advance, you can greatly increase your ability to survive the situation:
Here are some helpful tips:
- Note the nearest emergency exit.
- Know of at least one alternative exit if your first choice is blocked.
- Take cover under a desk or table if debris is falling.
- Stay away from file cabinets, bookshelves, or other
objects that may fall.
- Turn your back to windows and glass.
- Move away from exterior walls.
- Determine if you should "shelter in place" or evacuate.
- Listen for and follow instructions.
- Do not use elevators.
- Stay to the right when going down stairwells to allow emergency crews to come up.
Even if you don't work in a high-rise building, it's helpful to be aware of these tips in the event you are visiting one when an emergency occurs.